Hey just wanted to thank all of you who came out to my precon really enjoyed sharing with you and hearing from many of you. Here are the links to my prezi’s and some of the resources I referenced in our time together today.
What Is Family Ministry
What The Gospel Demonstrates to Leaders
What The Gospel Demands of Parents
Family Minstry 101: Basics of Family Ministry
Family Ministry 201: Advanced intergration
First Step Next Step Cards
Here is a blog Post that discribes our first step next steps cards. – http://samluce.com/2017/04/answering-questions-parents-asking/
Here is where you can find all the expanded “Next Step” PDF’s. If you want me to send you the templates for the cards shoot me an email – [email protected]
Books every kids pastor should read their first year in kids ministry.
Books You Should Read Your First Year in Kidmin
Here are are the examples of one of the Reformer of the Month Papers we give our leders and one we give our kids.
Zwingli Leader Page
Zwingli Take Home
Here are a couple of family ministry posts you may also enjoy.
A Family Ministry Manifesto.
Rabbit Starvation and Missional Youth Ministry
The next revolution in family ministry
I remember the day it first dawned on me that being a man in children’s ministry was like being a rainbow unicorn in real life. I was at a Kids ministry conference at Willow Creek 15 years ago and I had to use the bathroom. Every bathroom but one, in the whole church had been converted to a women’s bathroom. It was at that painful moment, the realization came to me. I am not the average kids pastor. I have since found that I am not as rare as I felt in that moment in the halls of Willow Creek Community Church. The past 15 years we have seen more men see the value of ministry to kids, this is very heartening. So as a man what do I appreciate most about Group’s Kidmin conference (other than their very short lines for the men’s room?)
1. Their attention to ministry to whole person. – From opportunities to network to prayer/ministry rooms for pastors who need ministry. Group goes out of their way to minister to minsters. There are plenty of practical breakouts and how to’s but if we are not whole and we are not healthy in our relationship with God and others how we do ministry doesn’t really matter.
2. Humor – I love to laugh. Every year they have “The Skit Guys.” It’s rare that you go to a conference where the artists on stage tap into the inner Jr. High boy in every man. Believe me ladies there is a Jr. High boy in every man. They are hilarious and they are guys. From their Jr. High boy antics to serious vignettes I always leave refreshed and challenged.
3. Options – I don’t know if this is a guy thing but I love lots of options. I love learning in breakouts, in hall ways and after everything is over in restaurants. Group does a fantastic job of connecting people and creating intentional places to meet people like you on purpose (connect groups) or on accident (zorbe chairs).
This will be my third Kidmin Conference. I hope you join me. I would love to hang out talk Family Ministry, baseball or just stare off into space and say nothing because guys like that.
I remember several years ago being part of a conversation about what makes a conference great with Christine Yount-Jones and her team at Group. One of the things that came out of that conversation was the need for authentic conversations. The Kidmin Conference that Group puts on does many things well, what I think they do better than any conference I have been to is create intentional space for conversations to take place. From the affinity groups, to structuring time in breakouts for interaction, to the placement of Xorbee chairs all over to create conversational pit stops.
What I am looking forward to most at the Kidmin conference is using those opportunities to learn from old friends and new friends alike.
This year I was honored to be invited back to help add to the conversation. I am incredibly excited to do that by discussing a couple of things that are important to me. This year my breakouts will center about the why, what and how of communicating the gospel to kids. In years of ministry to kids in the same church I have become more aware of our need to do those things with excellence. If we don’t understand why those gospel matters to kids what we say and how we say it will have less impact. If we know why the gospel matters but don’t know how or what to say about it the impact will never be felt by our kids. I hope to help paint a picture of the power of the gospel how we need it as much as the kids we serve and when we understand that fact it will change everything for us even how we practically communicate to kids.
I really hope to see you there. I am praying that every person that comes is changed for the sake of the kids they are called to serve.
Register Here Register Now!
If you want to come and can’t afford it I have good news I am giving one free registration to Group’s Kidmin Conference. Please enter via the form below.
Why I love Group’s Kidmin Conference.
For the past 3 years I have had the opportunity to take part in Groups Kidmin Conference. Christine Yount Jones and her team do a phenomenal job. Here is a few of the reasons why I like coming back each year.
- I hate deadlines and I love deadlines – Chris and her team keep all the speakers well-informed and force us to be clear on our content as well as provide personalized feedback. Why all of this? Because Chris is passionate about the breakouts being as dynamic as the keynotes.
- The keynotes are a mix of people who do keynotes for a living and people who do kids ministry for a living. As a local church pastor. I like that.
- They are very intentional perhaps most intentional of any conference I have been to about creating opportunities for personal connections and personal ministry.
I am honored to be apart of the 3rd annual event. Looking forward to seeing all my friends and to meeting new friends. Can’t wait to share what God has put on my heart for leaders as well as learn from what God is doing.
If you are going to Group’s KidMin conference please find me and say hi. I would love to hear what God is doing in your church!
Prezi presentation of my talk I did at Group’s Kidmin Conference on raising great teams. There is a huge difference between recruiting volunteers and building a team.