Well in back to back days I have seen the series finales of two shows that had been my favorite at one time.
I remember watching the very first episode of 24. I was hooked until season 5 when the writing became stale and predictable. I also remember watching the first episode of the second season of Lost it took me a while but the show gradually became my favorite show on TV.
I have a few reasons why Lost will be remembered and 24 will be forgotten
1. Lost told a cohesive story. They connected dots from season to season rewarding the audience by letting them in and explaining things that took place seasons before. 24 treated each year as a stand alone show after watching 3 or 4 seasons you start realizing that every day is like the rest.
2. The writers of lost had a comprehensive plan and focused on a good story. 24 seemed to be more concerned with plot twists and convoy ambushes.
3. 24 was focused on a larger than life figment of someones imagination. Lost told the stories of everyday people like you and me. People who were heroic at times and cowardly others. People like you and me. (*the lost characters were figments of someones imagination as well just more realistic that’s all)
4. Everyone on Lost was dead the whole time. Jack died and came back to life 6 times.
5. In Lost violence was a subplot in 24 it was “the” plot.
6. Lost left on their own terms 24 was asked to leave.
What I loved most about Lost is they had a compelling story that they didn’t strangle. To many shows and movies for that matter don’t tell an interesting compelling story. They are just mindless entertainment. I really don’t know what will take the place of Lost for me. 24 on the other hand will not be missed. I saw this day coming for years. The best part of 24 for me was live tweeting it on twitter.
So goodbye Lost and good riddance 24.
Here is my previous posts about 24.