If you have read my blog for any amount of time you would know that I am a huge fan of Andy Stanley.
He started a new series on his greatest hits podcast called “It Came from within” In the first message of this series he talks about how we are trained to change our behavior and to filter our speech but never to watch our heart. Solomon the wisest man who ever lived exhorted us to “Above all things, guard your heart for out of it flows the issues of life.”
He ended his talk with some practical questions he asks his kids. They are powerful and need to be asked by parents to their kids but need to be answered by parents first. I felt the Holy Spirit nudge me on a couple of them hopefully he does the same for you.
Here are Andy’s questions.
1. Is everything ok in your heart.
2. Are you mad at anyone?
3. Are you waiting around for someone to come to you to make things right?
4. Have you had any extended imaginary conversations with anyone lately?”
5. Do things come out of your mouth on a regular basis that you have to apologize for?
6. Have you secretly celebrated someones failure?
7. Anything going on you hope no one discovers?
8. Is there a question you hope no one ever asks you?
9. Have you lied recently to someone you love?
5 comments On Guard your heart…
Loved Andy's book by the same title. Thanks for posting his questions. They are super helpful.
I can't believe that I'm just now learning about Andy Stanley! From what I've read about him so far, and from the bits and pieces I just listened to of his podcast, I can tell that I have a lot to learn from him. The list of questions that Andy came up with and that you listed definitely struck a chord with me–I'm looking forward to sharing them with my fellow children's ministry leaders.
Sam, I heard this series near the first time though and have been working on a similar list with my boys ever since…(I also read the book, then went though the series again with my small group). The list of the big monsters and Prov. 4:23 are something that I think about constantly. Thanks for expanding the circle of people that know about this.
I love it. Just more reasons why Andy is the man.