Media and the church.
Reed Dickens said something very interesting he said.
The internet and cable TV have created a speed of information that demands transparency.
One thing in my opinion the church does not do is leverage new media and manage their brand.
1. Not realizing that what unintentionally do and say they are actually branding their church on accident.
2. When crisis hits most churches our first response is to say nothing. Big mistake in the information age. There is a great post on church crunch that covers this.
Reed explained that every church should do two things.
Message prep –
- One sentence rule – Say what you want to say want in one sentence. Start with it end with it and use it thematically.
- Message box – Boundary between what you don’t know and you can’t discuss – You need to stay on message.
- make sure you prepare
- You can’t be an expert on everything if you try you do you will get into trouble
- Best thing you can say is “I don’t know” followed up by “What I do know is”
How about you what is your churches relationship to the media?