Had a great weekend in children’s ministry. I got a chance to meet a great couple from Cornwall Canada. We had quite a few fantastic conversations about children’s ministry. I am very excited for them because they are starting from the ground up. They have the privilege to lay the foundation for the ministry to children at their church.
In talking to this couple I was reminded of the importance of revisiting where you have come from and the importance of starting off right.
I begin thinking what would I have wanted someone to tell me when I first started?
So here goes……
1. Vision – vision attracts volunteers more than need.
2. People Matter to God – never forget that God left the 99 to reach the 1.
3. Instruct, Model, and Inspect. -You get what you are. Model, Model, Model.
4. Mature yourself. – You need to spend time reading, listening, praying, and networking. Many children’s pastors aren’t able to be in service. Making maturity a priority is essential.
5. Be specific – People want to know what you want. Tell them and be specific. When you aren’t specific people have no choice but to fill in the blanks, created by your lack of specificity.
6. Have Fun – Kids church needs to be fun. So make it fun.
7. Life Transformation – Our goal in all we do is life transformation in children’s lives, in our volunteers and in our families.
8. The Pipeline works – You need to work well with the Pre-school ministry and the youth ministry.
9. Budget or No Budget Trust God.
10. Don’t get cynical. – Children’s ministry is so often out of sight out of mind. Do blame God don’t blame others. Children’s ministry today is where youth ministry used to be 15years ago. I believe children’s ministry is changing. People are seeing the importance of reaching kids. I believe that things are going to change. We need to be ready for the change!