I recently outlined our process for doing events in kids ministry while talking with one of our interns. So I thought I would share it with you all. This is what it looks like for me.
Event Planning for kidmin.
1. What result am I looking for? What is the win? How will I know if this event is a success?
2. Answer all the basic questions.
- Who? – Who is the event for?
- What – What will take place? What will it cost?
- Where – Where will the event take place?
- How – How can parents engage?
- When – Date and time.
3. Practical preparation –
- Communicate with parents, take home fliers, word of mouth, and FB
- Communicate with staff. Make sure you have no conflict with rooms, staff or dates
- Communicate with the church as a whole through church announcements, FB and website.
- Think through the amount of volunteer positions you will need filled.
- Recruit the appropriate number of volunteers.
- Determine budget.
- Make a list of todo’s before/during/after
- Prioritize todo list and set due dates.
4. During the event do the things only I can do and make sure the other things are delegated.
5. After the event Evaluate and Celebrate.
6. Tweak for next time.