I have been thinking about this post for a while. One of the greatest tools I feel at every children’s ministers disposal is social media. I have been on twitter for almost 2 years and have been blogging for almost 3 and have met some amazing people but have also been disturbed by some people I have met.
I have met some people who seem to be more interested in building their own ___________ (insert whatever here). This drives me crazy. I know for me even with my blog I at times find myself thinking how I can write something that will get more hits instead of something that helps.
I NEVER want to be about building the cult of me over building the Kingdom of God. I try to ask myself a few questions ever so often to help me stay focused on the things that won’t one day burn.
1. Am I using social media to grow as a leader to grow my church or am I using it to grow my name?
2. Is what I am blogging, tweeting building up or tearing down?
3. Am I generous with my time? Am I being to others what I wish someone had been to me when I started out in kids ministry?
4. Am I more concerned with building up the next generation or am I using them to prop up my agenda.
5. What do I want to be know for?
6. Who’s opinion do I value most right now?
If God doesn’t build the house, the builders only build shacks.
If God doesn’t guard the city,
the night watchman might as well nap. (MSG)
Be a blessing build His Kingdom not yours.