One of the most powerful tools you have as a leader is the power of story. In kids ministry you need to learn to harness story.
Knowing your values is one thing knowing how to illustrate and infuse them with the stories from people whose lives have been transformed is another. I am consistently on the lookout for stories that reinforce our values. How about you?
In Uptown our Values are
1. Be Safe
2. Be Courteous
3. Be Engaging
4. Be Consistent
Here is a great article from the Harvard Business Review
A good leadership story has the power to engage hearts and minds. It has these six crucial elements:
- Draws on your real past and lessons you’ve learned from it.
- Resonates emotionally with your audience because it’s relevant to them.
- Inspires your audience because it’s fueled by your passion.
- Shows the struggle between your goal and the obstacles you faced in pursuing it.
- Illustrates with a vivid example.
- Teaches an important lesson.