Ask vs. Beg
When we need volunteers I think we tend to come across desperate.
I used to do this all the time with that frazzled look in my eyes and say “can you help with the kids”.
I have learned and am still learning when it comes to recruiting:
1. If you are begging it’s a temporary fix. Every person I have begged lasted only a few months.
2. Leaders have to be asked.
3. Leaders agree to when asked because of vision.
4. When you beg people we talk not about long term vision but short term need.
5. Volunteers serve over the long hall GET something back.
6. If you ask be ready to back it up. Don’t ask unless you know your holes and your roles.