I’m a big fan of John Piper love this video. One of the things I love most about Piper is his high view of God. This video is evidence of that.
Haggai – Book of Right Priorities
Putting God first!
Key Point – Put God first
Memory Verse – Matthew 6:33 “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.”
Skit – WWJD – If God isn’t first he isn’t first – Boy wakes up puts on a WWJD tee-shirt and says that he wants to put God first but other stuff gets in the way. He says that this is the day that Jesus is going to come before everything he goes to read his bible something comes up he goes to pray and his friends convince him to play with them instead of praying at the end of the day he is frustrated his father tucks him in the boy says that his day did not go very well at all. His father asks if he took his own shirts advice. What Would Jesus Do. The boy says that Jesus would spend time with God. The father says that he is correct. Jesus always did the will of God when he was here on earth. Jesus always put his relationship with God first before anything else. Father tells the boy that he needs to remember to put God first.
How are we doing with our children? Can our children answer questions such as:
- What is sin?
- Who is Jesus?
- What did Jesus do?
- Why do you and I need Jesus to save us?
- How do we receive the salvation that Jesus offers?
It is important that we be careful with our precious children. We do not want to walk them into making a decision to follow Christ without an intentional plan for walking with them down the road of discipleship. Our ministry to children will be measured by disciples, not decisions. In the video below, Trevin Wax offers some practical suggestions on teaching your children the gospel.
- Repetition is essential.
- Choose your language carefully.
- Don’t underestimate your kids’ understanding.
- Celebrate Advent with your littles using the Jesus Storybook Bible
- 8 Habits Of A Highly Effective Campus Pastor
- Worst One Ever by Seth Godin
- Diabolical Ventriloquism: A 1-Sentence Summary of Each of Screwtape’s Letters
- How To Lead When You Aren’t In Charge
- Swagger by Seth Godin
- 7 Lessons From My Year Long Spending Fast
- How To Remember People’s Names
Of all the books I read in 2013 here are my 10 favorite. Everyone of them worth the read.
- Dangerous Calling – Paul David Tripp – Powerful book every person in ministry should read.
- Amazing Grace the story of William Wilberforce - Eric Metaxas – Love Eric’s writing style my biggest take away from this book was how “dark” and evil things were in the England during Wilberforce’s lifetime. He stood when no one else would and forever changed the course of human history because he stood with in grace that God provided.
- Unbroken – Laura Hillenbrand – Unbelievable story of survival, faith and forgiveness. Such a moving story.
- Leadership and Self Deception – The Arbinger Institute – Loved this book. I think of it often how I in my sinfulness tend to decive myself into thinking that I am better than I am. I need to constantly be aware of the pervasiveness of my self-deception because only when you are aware of your self-deception will you truly not be deceived.
- David And Goliath - Malcolm Gladwell – Gladwell is not a theologian so I disagreed with how far he reached in the David and Goliath story but that didn’t take away the power of the book for me. Such a great book. I love how Gladwell thinks so I am bias. This was definitely my favorite that Gladwell has written to date.
- Judges For You – Tim Keller – Tim Kellers commentary on the book of Judges. Wow. Amazing. Very informative and massively convicting.
- Creating Innovators - Tony Wagner – Have you ever read a book that tells you what you have thought and have told others but didn’t have proof for your hunch. This is that book for me. If you have kids or teach kids you need to read this book.
- Center Church – Tim Keller – This is Keller’s opus. Not an easy read at all but a must read for church leaders. Keller lays out principles that must be grasped by the church for us to do effective ministry in the next 20 to 30 years.
- Decisive – Chip and Dan Heath – This book was all about the power of good decisions full of practical advice on how to make better decisions. If you are a leader than you make many decisions. If you want to be a good leader you need to know how to make excellent decisions. Love the Heath brothers style another great book for them.
- Desiring God – John Piper – Such a good book. There are books that tell you about God and those that inspire you to love God this book is the latter. This book is Pipers life message and you can feel it. As I even reflect on this book It makes me desire God more. Thanks Pastor John.