Here are a few practical tips I constantly remind every worship leader in our kids ministry.
1. Smile - You don’t want to convey worship is painful (actually the kids pastor before me used to use worship as a punishment. “If you don’t stop talking we are going to worship for 5 more minutes.” I kid you not.)
2. Sing - Even if your voice isn’t that stellar having a vocal focal point helps kids enter in.
3. Make eye contact - When you are leading kids in small group, worship, or large group eye contact is huge. Eye contact is the time out chair of the soul. When kids are messing around eye contact does wonders believe me. If you don’t believe me ask a mother.
4. Make it personal - Share a scripture or something God is speaking to you this week – Kids learn by example be an example
5. Teach kids - Having kids in a kids ministry setting is a huge advantage. We can break down what we do and why we do it, something that will never happen in “Big Church” We need to take advantage of this opportunity to teach them the heart of worship.
6. Be a worshiper yourself – The best way to teach kids to worship is to show them how to worship with your life.